4.11 gears

To: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 4.11 gears
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 11:46:36 -0500
Message text written by "Gerald  Van Vlack"
> Are you aware of sets available for less because I know a few guys
who will buy them if available.<

No, I do not know of others available (except the one on ebay).  I guess I am
just
cheap and expected that the ring and pinion gears alone should be less expensive
especially since you have to rebuild the entire differential in order to
install them.

About the "adapter"....  This device is a geared unit that is inserted in-line
with the speedo cable.
The gear ratio is selected from a wide range of possible ratios to convert your
current tire size + differential
ratio to the expected number of turns-per-mile at the speedometer.

For my TR4A, the stock tires + 3.7 rear used a speedometer with 1152 or 1184
turns per mile.
Changing to the 4.1 rear would create the need for a 1280 or 1312 calibrated
speedometer.  Apparently
these speedos do exist for the TR4 line, but I have never seen one.

I have 185/70-15 tires with the 4.1 rear, and for these tires with the current
tread wear and the current inflation,
I have about 1344 turns per mile.  I have adapted a 1376 MG speedo guts for my
car, but I could also
have tried to get an adapter with a 0.881:1 ratio.  I suppose that if the
gearing is simple inside these things, then
the input gear would have 44 teeth and the output gear would have 50 teeth.  I
could then use my 1184 speedometer.

The "usual" speedometer shops can make these adapters.  I have some contact
information for APT in my
speedometer repair manual, also Palo Alto Speedometer might be able to make
them, as might
Nisonger.  Street Rod speedo shops can do this as well.  The hard part is how
you splice the adapter into
the speedo cable.  It would be nice if they had something that screws into the
back of the speedo and then the original
cable just is connected to the adapter.

The speedo repair manual can be found on my website:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes

-Tony