Re: Logic overdrive device

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Logic overdrive device
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 09:03:25 -0500
Cc: <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
"Mike Kitchener" wrote:
[snip]
 >"Logic overdrive switching device . Allows fast overdrive operation .
 >Overdrive cannot be left in inadvertently , reducing strain on the
 >overdrive . When changing gear with the overdrive left engaged ,
 >overdrive drops out automatically. Fits all electrically operated
 >overdrives ."
This sounds exactly like the setup on the Volvo 240 I had (which had a
Laycock J-type O/D).  The gearshift-top switch was a momentary-contact
switch, which fed into a "black box" (actually red) that contained a relay
and digital logic components.  Other inputs came from the lockout switches
and, I believe, some kind of RPM indicator (though it might really have
been a weak pump that kept it from engaging below 50 mph).  A look at the
wiring diagram in a good Volvo manual would probably give you all you need
to re-create the circuit cheaply.