Re: Spring compressor (L8)

To: justin@bexel.com
Subject: Re: Spring compressor (L8)
From: Scuzz <triumph-tr4@home.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:41:25 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Better late than never, so here goes.

        Although I do not yet have any first-hand experience in this area, I
would advise against doing the swap yourself unless you have the
'proper' tools and training.

        I have seen a couple of springs get away at a lorider show.  I was in
the stands watching a pickup with 4 pumps and 4 dumps (for those in the
know) jumping the front end of his pick-up truck over 4' off the ground
(yes, four feet).
        He had been competing the day before but had to spend all night fixing
the truck after one of the hydraulic cylinders on the front blew up.
The top of the cylinder blew clean THROUGH the hood, it was never
found.
        Anyhoo, he was jumping away when all of a sudden something came off the
truck hit the ground and bounced right over the crowd control barriers
into the crowd of spectators.  The guy kept jumping even though the
truck was now lopsided and jumping to the right as much as it was
jumping up.  So he started jumping the back end of the truck.  It turned
out that the first piece to fly off was one of the rear coils.  When the
second one went, it flew straight at one of his competitors who was
crouching down more than 25' away.  The spring never hit the ground.  It
went straight from the rear axle to the guy's face.  Luckily he was
paying close attention and had just enough time to move his head 3" to
the right.  Just enough that it hit him in the hand, saving most any
injury.
        If the spring had gone a few inches over, he would be seriously injured
or worse.
        Both springs were recovered, the nearly deadly one was halfway to the
other end of the arena.

Be wary anything under pressure,
Shayne Peterson