Re: parts catalog quality

To: Michael Burdick <burdickm@mindspring.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: parts catalog quality
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:15:23 -0700
Michael Burdick wrote:

> I have had great experiences with  SpitBits.

I've only ordered from them once, but got what I needed at pretty good
prices (on sale, though).

> I use Victoria British as a last resort as they seem to stock parts solely
> based on price and the order takers have no information about what brands
> they stock.

I haven't had big problems with them, but the business about no
technical support is quite true. If you know exactly what you want, and
what you're going to get from them, then they're okay. They were
actually quite reasonable when I ordered the wrong set of lug nuts for
my Minilite repros--it was my fault, but they exchanged them for the
correct set without a restocking charge.

> The few times I have used Rimmers, I have had good experiences.  Their
> catalogs are fun to page through!

I've had only two difficulties with them. They seem to have a hard time
equating a GT6+ with a MkII, and that caused some confusion a few years
ago, and most recently, I ordered some parts from their web site which
turned out not to be available then or in the foreseeable future. One
would expect the web site to be the most up-to-date of their information
resources, but, not so. Other than that, no real problems.

> I dealt with John Kipping before he sold out and had nothing but good
> experiences.  I even visited his shop when visiting England and he was
> extremely pleasant and helpful.  I have not yet dealt with Canley Classics,
> but plan to soon.

Some of us have recently ordered from them, and had problems with parts
being delivered which were not what was ordered. When they were
notified, they were quite quick to apologize and send the correct part
out without expecting a return of the old one first. I notified them of
the problem last Sunday night by email and had the correct part Thursday
morning. Strong attempt to maintain good customer relations, I'd say.

> Moss Motors USA is on my black list. I have had extremely unpleasant
> dealings with them.  Basically, they want nothing to do with early Spits and
> have refused to sell me parts for my Mk3 in the past.

I last bought from them three years ago. Got pretty much what I
expected. Wasn't disappointed, but then, it was gaskets and
bearings--nothing complicated.

> I have bought some performance items from Moss UK's TriumphTune division,
> but it has been a number of years since I have contacted them - I don't even
> know if they still exist.  They put out a really nice performance
> manual/catalog at one time.

The Moss UK (the last time I checked, about a month or so ago) still
listed the TriumphTune catalog. Don't know about current service--the
last time I ordered (1976), TriumphTune was still SAH. <smile>

I will also put in a plug for a place in the UK I deal with
occasionally--Sports Car Supplies--even when they can't help me, they
still make an effort to try to find what I need. They are almost
exclusively a Spit/GT6/MGB/Midget shop, but they have lately been making
noises about expanding to the TRs. They are a good deal smaller than
Rimmers, but they seem to work hard at it. They also sell used spares.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM