TR7 BFH#48 -- Stiff steering?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#48 -- Stiff steering?
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:38:44 EST
Here's another breakthrough I made this weekend.  Is your TR7 steering hard
to turn at slow speeds?  Mine was really tough, and I assumed there was
something drastically wrong with the rack and pinion.  I had greased the rack
and pinion, but it only seemed to make a very marginal difference.

Then I replaced the two plastic bushings that the upper steering column
passes through, and the difference has been amazing.  The old grease inside
the bushings was like glue.  I used new Slick 50 grease, and can now make a
turn at under ten miles an hour without dislocating my shoulder...

The bushings are cheap, and available from lots of places.  It's something to
check out if you're having a similar problem.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC