RE: TR4 fan replacement

To: <GrubbLaw@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 fan replacement
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:38:44 -0500
Bill,

At high RPMS the 4-blade TR metal fan can cause some real
problems as you approach 4000 RPMs.  I have done a lot of
experimenting on this and finally settled... for the time
being... on a metal TR 6-bladed fan which seems to work for now.
It is lighter with shorter blades and the weight is more evenly
distributed.  It was a dramatic improvement over the stock
4-blade fan... really unleashed the engine to rev better.

TRF sells an 8-bladed yellow plastic fan (PN 308353) that is
pictured on page 17 of the TR4 glovebox catalog and is also on
the winter sale list. Many guys have reported using this
installed backwards. I have seen them on a couple of TR4s here in
the northeast.  I gave up too soon on installing this on my car
back in winter 98 because of the radiator clearance problem.  I
don't recall trying to install it backwards.

I recently found a TR3 hub extension which is shorter and may
allow me to mount it in the normal position.  I want to get the
plastic fan to work as I believe  that it will really help reduce
the vibration caused by the big heavy 4-blade stock fan and even
the 6-blade fan I am currently using. Anything that will reduce
the mass that rotates on the end of the crank is better.  My
ultimate goal is to find a compatible plastic fan from another
car that has the viscous clutch in the center and can be made to
mate with the TR hub.  The viscous or liquid clutch only runs the
fan up to a low fixed RPM and then "slips".  This  will further
reduce the harmonic vibration we get on the TR engines with the
direct connected fans.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com