TR4suspension rebuild x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4suspension rebuild x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: John and Lee Howard <trjhhow7@home.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:07:58 -0500
Hi all:

I'm well into the rebuild of the left side front suspension. Am waiting
for new trunnion pins and bushes from Revington, but in the meanwhile
can begin some bench assembly....and questions arise:

- When tightening down the upper inner fulcrum castle head nuts, do I
torque them according to the manual? And then crossdrill for the split
pins? or do I back off the nuts a flat or two after the torquing? I see
no split pin holes (!), so maybe its a new fulcrum? Should I use lock
nuts instead?

- I have the poly bushes so smeared up the pins real good.

- I borrowed a monster ball joint press from AutoZone ( full refund of
cost upon return....does everyone know about this source of expensive
hand tools?) When pressing in the ball joints, do I press just far
enough to disappear the shiny shaft ?
How do I know how far to press.

- This press looks like it will work on the trunnion pins.

Thats all for now....more later, I'm sure. Thanks      John Howard