Re: Bead blasting cabinet(long reply)

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bead blasting cabinet(long reply)
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:35:59 EST
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Brian...
Different media require different pressures. Aluminum oxide used for heavy
duty paint and rust removal will require somewhere between 80-90psi. Glass
beads...for cleaning cast aluminum etc. probably 40-50psi. My compressor, a
SEARS 5.5hp, 25 gallon, runs quite a bit when I use it at 80-90psi. It will
do the work but as I said, it runs a lot. It is rated at 8.6 scfm @ 40psi,
6.4 scfm @ 90psi. It is a single cylinder, oil-free, 120volt model. If you
are planning on doing a lot of blasting get the biggest mamu you can afford.
I do not blast big (wheels, etc) items.

Thoughts on the compressor...adequate, noisy, has held up well over about 2
years on and off use. Can be used for air tools as well. Be sure to get and
use a moisture trap or two. The compressor does not (!) come with it. Use
MUST use these if you are doing any type of painting. It helps also to keep
the water out of air tools!

I have a Harbour Freight stand-alone cabinet. It was something like $270 a
couple of years ago. Have to put the legs on yourself. No big deal. Cabinet
is adequate for cost. The additional fluorescent light lasted about a week. I
would not buy it again. I use an external light (incandescent on magnetic
base) with better results. The fluorescent was just too dim to help anyhow.
The viewing glass was held in with sheet metal screws and leaked media. I
replaced them with nuts and bolts and it works fine now. They supply a few
clear thin acetate (?) sheets that have double-sided tape to hold it to the
inside of the glass. You have to change these frequently when using high
pressures. If you don't use these the glass gets frosted and you have to
replace IT!. You get used to the routine.

Wheels...I am pretty sure 15" would fit but it's tight. Not much room to
maneuver the gun. Probably would be a chore.

Blasting media...Harbour Freight sells it at their retail stores. Eastwood
sells it. Also there are other places that sell blasting media. Check your
Yellow Pages under sandblasting.

Sorry for the length. Hope this helps.
Larry Morrison
TR250