Re: Drag Coefficients

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Drag Coefficients
From: "Tinker Mechanic" <speedbuggy65@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:44:05 -0000 FILETIME=[5FBFD440:01C07F12]
Don't know what the value is for a Triumph . . . but it certainly can have a
big effect, particularly when you start going really fast.

I had a truck once that I made long Interstate trips with at high speeds.
(I assume it had a crappy aerodynamic drag coefficient)

I knew that I could only get about 250 miles from a tank of gas if I was
lucky.  (at interstate speeds averaging 70mph or more)

Then one weekend I followed a friend across the state taking backroads.
It was largely uninterrupted driving, but the speeds were much lower.
I'd guess I averaged under 50mph on the state highways.

I got well over 300 miles on a tank of gas that day.

I found a pretty good explaination (meaning it didn't go way over my head)
on that site:  How stuff works.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question477.htm

If you have never browsed around that site. . .take a look.
You'll get all kinds of answers to your questions.

Tink