Trans update

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trans update
From: "ronald babbitt" <rbtr3a@flintemc.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:01:05 -0500
Hi Listers.

I thought I would Update the status on my transmission and overdrive unit.
Several listers helped in identifying exactly what type of unit I had.  I
appreciate Carl Musson for posting some pictures on his web site for me.
When I received my unit it was damaged in shipping. The top cover had been
broken off at the gear shifter. I was able to obtain another cover and
changed out the selector forks and shift rods. ( Thank you Randall for the
info in the selector forks)  I have decided that I would not be happy just
changing the fluid and installing the unit into my car. Not knowing the
history, mileage or condition of my unit  I decided to contact a few listers
and inquire what is involved in undertaking such a foreign task of
rebuilding this gearbox.   I confess this was the first time I had ever even
looked inside a gearbox. Having being convinced I could undertake such a
task, I gained the confidence to tackle the job.   Brian Sanborn was very
kind in sending me a copy of OD diagrams and information needed to help me
understand the operation of the unit. Thank you Brian.    Next I contacted
Brian Schroff at power British, Brian directed me through the disassembly
of my gearbox.   I covered a six foot table with brown Kraft paper. As I
removed each component. I would wash, photograph and label each part.  I had
questions regarding the integrity and  wear  patterns of  several
components.  I  sent Brian  digital images of each  parts in question, I set
my camera on a tripod and photographed the parts using the macro feature. I
was able to obtain some very good images which captured the areas of
concern. From these images Brian was able to determine the dispositution of
the parts in question.  Power British is sending me the parts I now need to
complete the assembly hopefully I should receive them Saturday.   This
morning I called Fred Thomas to give him an update as to were I stood in
the rebuild.  I informed Fred that I had taken the case to our local
radiator shop to have the case cleaned and boiled.  As you can guess, the
last thing he asked me was do I have enough 007 silver powder to coat the
case.   I'll tackle the Overdrive unit upon completion of the gearbox.

Thanks all for your help
sincerely
Ronnie Babbitt
1960 tr3a