Re: Herald 1200 Convertible Flags

To: <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Herald 1200 Convertible Flags
From: "Steven McCutcheon" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:08:14 -0500
The flags on the Italia are the same style but a little bigger (I think) and
they have threaded studs on the back and very small (#8) nuts.  I am told that
they are not from any other model but I stand to be corrected.
Steve Mc

>>> <GuyotLeonF@aol.com> 01/09/01 03:45pm >>>

On  Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:12:05 -0500
"Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Wrote Subject: Herald 1200 Convertible Flags

Does anyone know the meaning of the two crossed flags found on the rear wings
of the Herald 1200 Convertible? They are a red "X" on a white field, and a
blue rectangle on a white field. International flag code makes them "V" and
"S" as far as I can tell, though this is only a close approximation, as signal
flags are square, and these are obviously rectangular. Also, St. Patrick's
flag is white with a red "X", but what is the other.

Any good answers?
Scott
Scott,

They are indeed S & V
they signify Standard and Vignale
being the manufacturer of the car Standard-Triumph and the design house that
Giovanni Michelotti was working for when he designed the car.

I am informed that in nautical terms they also mean 'full speed astern' and
'help I am taking on water' both of which are oft-time appropriate.

There, I have put given my 2 pennies worth before reading anyone elses answers
They also appeared on other creations of the Standard Motor Company of that
period, including the Standard-Vignale Vanguard etc.

Not all Heralds had them, notably my 1967 Herald 1200 Convertible did, and
although most Vitesses did not, I have put them on mine, because a) I like
them, b) it's my car, and c) the 1962 press car Vitesse Convertibles had them.

(I have just checked some of my original advertising material and see that
they were used on both the 1961 Herald 1200 Coupe and Convertible, whereas
before that a 'Herald' badge was used on the 948 Coupe with (I think) the
'less sporting' Saloons, Estates or Courier Vans  not getting a tail badge).

They were btw made of brass and enamelled, with two simple studs going into
plastic plugs in holes made in the rear fins, on both sides.
It should be noted that modern repros are not made of brass, and the studs
are too close together to fit into the original holes, be warned that if you
bend the repros to fit, they will snap in half.

hope that answers any questions

Regards and Happy New Year to all

Leon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
ex-1967 Triumph Herald 1200 Conertible (owned 18 years)
Wimbledon, London, England.