GT6 OD conversion

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 OD conversion
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:00:57 -0500
Hi all,

What would I need to convert my '73 GT6 to overdrive?  Here's
what I know so far:

1. transmission main (output) shaft is different, and the
original rear extension is of course discarded

2. there's a mounting plate that bolts to the frame underneath
the OD unit (but apparently is not attached to the unit itself--
in fact I don't see what purpose it serves, unless maybe as a
bash plate)

3. the gear shift lever is different, and of course the knob also
(it houses the switch)

4. there's some sort of cam doohickey hanging off the front end
of the shifter, sitting atop the gearbox top cover, which looks
like it might work a switch or something.  (If you know what this
does, please don't keep it a secret! :)

5. shorter driveshaft (propshaft)

6. gotta cut some clearance in the propshaft tunnel

7. 3.89:1 diff

anything else?

thanks!

8. Oh, yeah, you'd need a D-type OD unit-- got one already!  :-)

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp. Algorithm (Al-Gore-ith-m, n):
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.    An arithmetic procedure,