RE: Reusing new head gasket after torquing head

To: "'Eric Conrad'" <conrade@qwest.net>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Reusing new head gasket after torquing head
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 18:00:11 -0500
When reassembling a 3A motor a LONG time ago, I put on the head, torqued it,
installed the pushrods and then decided to pull one of the pushrods out for
unknown reasons. As I did this, it pulled up the lifter, out of its bore
above the cam.  Try as I might, I couldn't get the lifter back in the bore.
So,  I pulled off the head, popped in the offending lifter, and reassembled
the rest of the motor using the same head gasket.  After cranking the car
for about a week, I pulled the plugs and found them to be wet with fresh
antifreeze.  Changed out the gasket, and it started on the first try.
        Moral of the story-  Once you squeeze 'em and remove,  they become
badges of honor to decorate your shop walls with.  Or perhaps Christmas tree
ornaments for the real diehard lbc enthusiast.
        What did you need to 'doublecheck' on the head?
Regards,
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967