RE: TR3 Sway Bar Add-On?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Sway Bar Add-On?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:52:09 -0800
Richard :

I am reasonably certain that the kits sold by VB are made by ADDCO, and are
available through other sources at a lower price.  I got mine from JC Whitney
many years ago, but I see they are still listed in the printed catalog (even
though I couldn't find them on-line).  ADDCO has a web site at
http://www.addco.net/ where you can learn more about their kits.

I installed both bars on TS39781LO, and was quite happy with the result on
(nearly) stock size tires.  I used all rubber bushings in the rear, but switched
the front vertical link bushings to polyurethane to reduce oversteer.  The bars
completely eliminated the problem where the rear axle hits the frame on hard
corners.

The installation is pretty straightforward, the only permanent modification to
the car is 8 holes, 2 in each of the front frame extensions, and 4 in the rear
frame.  The bolt through the center of the front wishbones gets replaced with a
longer bolt (not included in the kit I received), to carry a metal bracket.  I
used Nyloc nuts to avoid having to drill the bolt for a cotter pin.  On the rear
suspension, the existing U-bolts were long enough to remove one Nyloc, add the
metal bracket, and install a new Nyloc.  I did have a few installation problems,
had to contact ADDCO for some modified parts, but they were very helpful, and I
would assume they've updated their kits by now.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver