Re: Interesting fact when cars won't start

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting fact when cars won't start
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 19:29:32 -0800
Trevor Boicey wrote:

>  The vast majority of cars never have a computer problem in
> their life, and go to a junkyard for other reasons with the
> original computer still working fine.

True enough, but there are still a fair number that do go to the
junkyard because no one can solve the engine management problem.

> Many junkyards don't
> even pull the computers out of the junked cars unless you
> ask for one, because they sell very few. Demand is low, because
> computer failures are very rare.

The fact that the computers are most often specific to the make, model,
year, body, engine size, option package, manufacture date and original
delivery location might also have something to do with it ...
Oh, and in the US, you (and the junkyard) can be heavily fined for
installing the wrong computer in your car.  Many junkyards here will not
sell computers for that reason.

>   Computer failures are generally at most medium complexity to
> diagnose,

There's room for argument over semantics here, but I have first hand
knowledge of way too many engine management problems that took years to
solve, to accept your statement.  In fact, a great deal of the problem
is that almost any failure can masquerade as a computer failure.  It's
also not at all unusual for a computer system problem to cause other
failures (eg going lean under load causing burnt exhaust valves).

> and fairly simple and inexpensive to repair.

Simple, yes.  Inexpensive, no.  Some computer modules cost more (from
the dealer) than the engine (also from the dealer), making it the single
most expensive item in the car to replace.  And, since the manufacturer
typically supplies absolutely no information on the internals, repair is
not possible.

Can you imagine being told you have to change the engine because the
carburetor linkage is broken ?  I don't see any difference between that
and having to replace the computer module because a 6 cent capacitor
failed.

> If
> your car is new, the warranty would cover, as long as the
> car is a few years old, a junkyard computer for most cars
> is a couple of hundred bucks.

Except of course that there is no guarantee the junkyard one works, or
is even correct for your car.

>   Points are simple and cheap *PER SET*, but over the
> cost of ownership of the car, the amount of time spent on
> them is very high,

I don't mean to argue the old ways are best.  Sophisticated engine
management is an absolute necessity to reducing emissions and getting
optimum gas mileage.  But, I can sure buy a lot of tuneups for what a
computer costs !

OTOH, I just took off the points I've been running for the last 15 years
(since I've now switched to an optical pickup) and put them in the trunk
for a spare since they are still good !  It's amazing what a few
transistors will do for the life of points <g>

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver et al