Re: Interesting fact when cars won't start

Subject: Re: Interesting fact when cars won't start
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 16:18:56 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Trevor Boicey wrote:

>   Whenever you see this crap badmouthing computers, it's
> just the original posters way of saying that they have "hit
> the wall of learning", and would rather simply badmouth
> new technology than learn anything new.

Trevor :

I think you're over-reacting here, just as much as the techno-phobes
that can't find a bad plug wire until after they've replaced the
computer.

It takes a lot more than a willingness to learn to figure out today's
computer engine management systems, especially with their idiotic, under
described, over simplified error codes.  Plus, the makers seem to go out
of their way to hide important information.

If you're working on a points-type distributor, you can just flip open
the service manual and learn everything there is to know about it.
Vacuum advance curve, centrifugal advance curve, static timing, it's all
there.  Flip open the manual for a typical "computerized" ignition car,
and you're lucky if it even lists all the inputs used to form the
timing, let alone what effect those inputs actually have or what their
values should be.  I've got three different manuals for my Dodge
Caravan, and not one of them even has the right wiring diagram for the
computer !  Not a sensor specification in sight.  No mention whatsoever
of the fact the stupid *&& computer can't tell the difference between
spark knock and piston slap, and refuses to advance the spark because
the engine is tired.  Or that it can't tell the difference between a
worn cam lobe and a defective O2 sensor.  Or that if I wrote such crappy
software and delivered it to a customer, I'd deserve to be fired !

</rant>
Randall - professional embedded software engineer