Re: TR6-rear bearing problem

To: Doug Hofer <doug@triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: TR6-rear bearing problem
From: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 14:08:50 -0500
Cc: Triumph list <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Doug:

The clunk could come from a bad u-joint, or the bearing.  U-joints are easy to
diagnose.  However, if the spacing (float of the bearing on the axle) is off,
the
likely problem is not the collapsible spacer, but the heavy bearing-retaining
spacer.  What has happened is the the inner race of the inner bearing (the one
closest to the inner flange) has begun to spin on the axle stub.  This will
enable the race to eat into the retaining spacer.   A new spacer will NOT fix
the
problem.  You must either find a machine shop that can knurl the axle stub, or
get a new axle stub.  Sometimes you can fix by reassembling with a powerful
locktite injection on the bearing-axle interface, but if you try this, you have
to compress the collapsible sleeve very quickly, before the locktite sets.
Otherwise you just break the locktite loose, and you are right back where you
started.   I have heard of folks using epoxy, since it sets much slower than
locktite, but then again, epoxy gets soft under heat.  I don't know how much
success they have had.

Cheers.