Re: TR6-rear bearing problem

To: Doug Hofer <doug@triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: TR6-rear bearing problem
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:21:48 -0500
Cc: Triumph list <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hey Doug,

Your noise can be  result of several mechanical failures at that point.
1) U-joints , There are two that make up the half shaft
2) a worn axle spline
3) A worn hub bearing
The u-joints are probably the most  common failure & definitely require
some mechanical knowledge and tools.
The next two problems both need an experienced shop to rebuild or
replace the defective part. Although there have been discussions on hub
rebuilding , it does require special tools & pretty specific tolerances
& should be left to the experts. TRF rebuilt my hubs & I was very happy
with the work and turn-a-round time. U-joints can be done with just a
set of jack stands & the desire to get dirty and frustrated, but the
satisfaction factor is always a great boost.
Good luck
Mitch
74.5 TR6
Oceanside, NY