Tech/Engine- TR6->TR4/A car

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tech/Engine- TR6->TR4/A car
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:59:34 -0500
Hi List!
        Given: I own a TR4/A that I'm haveing engine problems with:
1-To much oil leakage:
        A- 1Qt: 200 miles.
        B- To much blow-by, coming out by fule pump, etc.
        C- a love affair with the Clutch, will Not let go when wanting to
shift.
2- Engine could use a rebuild ;-)
3- OD needs work

        Thought: Pull engine & tranny to rebuild engine & work on tranny while
I have it out.

        Problem: Very Little $money. So what else is new! :-)

        Possible Solution:
1- Work on what I can, when I can.
2- Install a TR6 engine?
3- Install spare TR4/A [non-OD] that I have lying around.

        Situation: I have an opportunity to purchase a used TR6 eng. complete?
I haven't seen it yet, but it has everything [intake & exhaust manifold,
carbs,linkage, starter, fuel & water pump, alter., etc. Owner says it
was running when he pulled it out. How long ago, I don't know; therefore
I can't be sure it will work now. And if I do decide to purchase it,
then he suggests to pull head & check things out.

        Price: $300. I think that's a good one if all is there as he said its
been stored in his garage on a dolly.

        Questions:
1- I think that the TR4/A tranny will match up, Yes or No? If not, then
what will I have to alter? If possable?
2- I think that the engine & tranny will fit the motor mounts & tranny
mount in my car, Yes or No? After all, isn't that what the TR250 is
basically [TR250 owners: I'm not trying to down grade the TR250, because
I'm sure there's more to it than that.]
3- Will the TR6 exhaist manifold end match up with the TR4/A gasket
double exhaust pipe?
4- What suggestions do any of you have for checking out the engine:
        A- Before I hand over the $money?
        B- After I take it home & before I install tanny & units into the car?

        Remember:
1- This is only to be 'temporary'. [I know that at times 'temporary'
could end up being longer than I org. thought.] :-)
2- I don't have much $money. Most of it was spent on the eng.

        Thank in advance,  -Cosmo Kramer