Re: TR6 Suddenly Runs Rich]

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Suddenly Runs Rich]
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@home.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 00:21:49 -0700
I agree with most of what Kevin has said except for the need to take carbs
off to clean the float chambers.  I've had a fuel contamination problem
(maybe since I've owned my TR6) and have taken my float chambers off
literally dozens of times to dump the gas and the little black specs
(varnish particles).    I've been known to take some of that canned air and
blow it around the inside of the top of the float chamber but most of the
stuff is going to be floating in the gas when you take the bottom of the
fuel chamber off.  Taking the carbs off is way more trouble and you can take
the float chambers off about 10 or 12 times in the same time as it takes to
get carbs off completely....especially considering you'll have to re-balance
the carbs.

You don't have to take the fuel valve out either as you can clean out the
fuel valve by taking a clean piece of fuel line and hooking it up at the
inlet on the carb and blowing air through the valve while tapping the valve
up and down with your finger.  It also provides a little test of the valve
cause once your clear it of crud and if it's closing as it should you won't
be able to blow air through your clean piece of fuel line.

And a new gasket isn't mandatory either unless you've torn the old one or
it's really past its useful life.  The fuel level in the chamber should be
below the gasket when the float is properly adjusted so its function is not
to keep gas from leaking out of a "full" fuel chamber.  It's more there to
provide a seal between the two pieces of the float chamber and keep gas from
"splashing" out as it slops around in the float chamber.  Don't put any kind
of gasket sealer on them either or you'll be cleaning that out of you float
chambers too...ask me how I know this...right Tom?

I've done the multiple filter thing on the fuel lines and between them and
the BG44K fuel treatment ($20 at NAPA) I'm beginning to win the battle of
the black specs.

But I could be wrong about this too.

Bud Rolofson