Re: Paint stripping

To: fergie@ntplx.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint stripping
From: WBabbitt@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:42:50 EST
In a message dated 12/5/00 8:10:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, fergie@ntplx.net
writes:

> Any advice from those who've already done this would be appreciated. Am I
> wasting my time trying to do this with a sander? I tried using some of the
> supposedly non-toxic (i.e. no methylene chloride) stripper on a small
> section of an old bonnet, but it just laughed and replied. "Not in THIS

Michael,
I'm a firm believer in chemical strippers.  I started mine out using a
sander.  I didn't like two things about sanding: (1) it makes a real mess,
and probably not real good to breathe, and (2) it rips up the surface of the
sheet metal.
Consider using a somewhat more serious stripper.  I just used the old
standard stuff.  If you don't want to go there, try some of the newer hi-tech
stuff.  POR15 has "POR-Strip that looks pretty good.  After stripping I used
metal prep (phosphoric acid).  Pics of the body stripped and painted are at:
 <A HREF="http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/carshow.php3?carid=53";>Triumph
List Member Page - Bill Babbitt, 1960 TR3A</A>
good luck (it's an adventure),
Bill Babbitt