Re: history( WAY off topic)

To: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@cruzers.com>, <naldous@ccgmail.com>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: history( WAY off topic)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:31:42 -0600
>Post WWII France emerged very nationalistic and very defensive about
>their culture (Almost as defensive as the Canadians of French descent).

You mean my father's people?  (The other half is Irish, me mother was a
Cavanagh.)

>Personally I think it is sad that the Americans and French people have
>lost that special bond that we once have had.  Of all countries we used
>to be the closest of friends.  Now whenever I visit France I have felt
>animosity from French people wherever I have gone.

I have not been to France.  My brother has.  He speaks the language, but not
with an inherited Canadian accent (my father broke the chain, growing up in
an Irish-Italian neighborhood in Saint Paul), but with a Yank accent on
school French.  He said he got by OK over there.

In Montreal, we get berated for losing our culture as soon as people find
out our name is Ethier.  My daughter seems to have beaten that problem in
her visits to Montreal by speaking only French while she is there.  She get
by fine, although I'm sure everyone knows by her accent that she did not
grow up in Canada.

By the way, TeriAnn, are you sure you don't want me to store (and exercise)
those wheels for you?

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.