RotoFlex Suspension

To: "INTERNET:Chip19474@aol.com" <Chip19474@aol.com>
Subject: RotoFlex Suspension
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:53:09 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Chip19474@aol.com
>I have a few books that address Spitfire & GT6 history but thought I'd ask

the forum that question....."Why did Triumph use rotoflex in lieu of
perhaps
a sway bar/swing axle Spit suspension or even an IRS setup?"
<

I guess the simple answer is that it is better to loose forward motion than
to loose vertical orientation.

Rotoflex couplings are cheap alternatives to u-joints and splined
couplings.  The geometry is controlled by control arms instead of the axle
and thus can be designed to keep the wheels pointed downward.  Since the
design life for these cars was 7 years, the rotoflex's were adaquate.  It
is those of us who are nursing these cars well beyond the expected life
cycle who are experiencing trouble.

BTW, the TR6 uses a rotoflex coupling in the steering shaft.  These should
be renewed as well.  (A topic visited here recently)

Dave