TR6 overdrive does not fit

To: "INTERNET:pbrzozoski@netscape.net" <pbrzozoski@netscape.net>
Subject: TR6 overdrive does not fit
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 20:43:52 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:pbrzozoski@netscape.net
>I thought I was all set to put a "J" type overdrive in my 74 "driver"; but

the tranny/OD from my parts car did not fit.  (Driver car CF25198U, built
Aug
1974.   Parts car CF21808UO, built May 1974)
The issue is with the rear mount.  It is not because the brackets & mounts
are different (they are different) but it is because the frames are
different.  More precisely, where the bracket bolts to the frame is
different.  The bracket bolts further forward on the driver car (built Aug
without OD) than it does on the parts car (built May with OD).
Neither frame looks "modified" in this area, and the part that the bracket
bolts onto is welded on both frames.

Could I need an "A" type OD in one car and a "J" type in the other?  Are
there adapter brackets available that allow you to mount one type OD where
the other type was meant to be used?
(I would rather not consider cutting or welding anything to the frame to
make
this work.)
<

Phil,

Is your car original or has someone swapped frames on you?  It sure sounds
like you have an early model frame.  It is also possible that the factory
found a left-over older style frame and decided to use it up on a non-O/D
car.

You can fit the J-type but not without frame modifications - as you pointed
out.  The other alternative is to swap your J-type for an A-type.

Good luck

Dave
57 TR3 (A-type)
71 TR6 (J-type - but with a 73 model frame)
81 TR8 (5 speed)