Re: TR3 Dash Covering

To: bbrewer@lightspeed.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Dash Covering
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:24:54 EST
Hi Bill,
I applied contact cement on the dash face and more generously around the back
lip.....this will serve to "anchor" the vinyl when you start stretching. I
then applied contact cement to the vinyl. I waited for it to become tacky,
then layed it over the dash starting in the center and working to the
ends....use little clamps.
You should cut the holes now because you'll want to stretch the vinyl into
and around the back side of the glove box cavity and instrument cluster area.
Make sure you leave enough material....the glove box cavity is deceiving and
will use up more material in the curved pocket than you realize. I cut a
narrow slot through the center and carefully gauged the perpendicular relief
cuts so there was enough material to fold around the back without showing
unsightly cuts......remember you're trying to do this while your contact
cement is curing.
It's better to use a spare instrument cluster plate to "fix" the vinyl in the
center while you stretch elsewhere......do a dry run so you'll understand how
it'll go when you apply the contact cement.
It's a royal pain to stretch the vinyl, so get some without the cotton
backing that stiffens it........I had to do mine twice.
Good luck
Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398l