TR4 Negative Ground (will the rust go away)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Negative Ground (will the rust go away)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:30:47 EST
In '92 I installed an inverter to switch the radio circuit over to negative
ground.  The radio thought the car was negative ground when it actually was
Pos ground.  This was quite a bit of electrical engineering and required a
blocking resistor and a separate gel cell battery for the radio presets.
Also cost about $150.  At that time I didn't realize how easy it is to go to
negative ground.

Thanks to Dan Master's gentle persuasion -- after 36 years and much soul
searching (I like original), I finally converted CT33118L to negative ground
last week.  I found at the VTR SE Regional ( we had to push start the car to
get on the field) that my "new" car battery was in fact 5 years old ( maybe
because I am also 5 years older I thought it was still "new").   So when I
put in the new battery I switched the ground over. Fairly simple- only work
was taking the wood dash out to flip-flop the ammenter leads.  My radio (new
but looking period) works great with the memory and clock operating properly
for the first time in 3 years.  ALSO I think that any rust spots are starting
to scab over and become metal again due to backward flow of the electrons.
Hey --one can hope. :-).

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/factory pickup)