Painting questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Painting questions
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:05:36 -0500
     Listers:

     I got tired of renting/borrowing air compressors/paint guns and
     just bought a new compressor.  I am looking at the various guns
     available and see that there's a high volume/low pressure type in
     addition to the 'standard' paint cup at the bottom type.

     Anyone have any experience with the HVLP type, or can anyone
     comment on the benefits/advantages over the standard gun (other
     than the advertised 'more efficient delivery, less waste' ).  Most
     of the HVLP guns run about 2X the cost of the standard one.

     QUESTION #1: Is the difference worth it??

     Over the past 20 years I sprayed a grand total of 4 cars, 1 with
     lacquer, 1 with enamel, 2 with two-part urethane[?] (Nitram and
     Imron).  Had excellent (for a beginner) results with the two-part
     systems (probably a 5' job).  The last time I painted was 1985.

     QUESTION #2: Is there anything on the market today  that's
     similar/better/easier than the two-part system??

     Thanks,
     Rick (amateur car painter, fortunate to have 2 or 3 practice cars
     to spray before I attempt my TR6.)