Fuel Leak

To: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Subject: Fuel Leak
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:20:30 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Bill & Skip Pugh
>Casper (57 TR-3), has a very small fuel leak where the fuel line from
the tank attaches to the fuel pump...I tried wrapping the threads
with teflon tape, but it still leaks...just a little, but still
annoying/dangerous?.  I think I read here that there was teflon
"paste"??.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
<

Bill, er, Wily,

That is a compression fitting and the threads do not make the seal.  If you
take it apart you will see that the part you turn with a wrench is a nut
that compresses a ferrel that makes the seal.  If it is leaking the ferrel
is not sealling between the pump body and the pipe.

The best thing to do isTake that bit of pipe off and cut off the ferrel and
end of pipe, go to the hardware store and buy some new ferrels to fit pipe,
go to the autoparts store and get some STEEL compression nuts (take your
sample with you) and assemble with the new parts.

(Note, don't use the brass compression nuts available at the hardware
store, the steel work much better.)

(Note, run the tank way low and then jack the front of the car up high and
you won't have a problem of the petrol running out on the ground when you
take it apart.)

Good Luck

Dave