Re: Inertial Fuel Cutoff Switch - Better Bet!

To: "Erik Quackenbush" <erik@midwestfilter.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Inertial Fuel Cutoff Switch - Better Bet!
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:32:39 -0500
Just as safe as the inertia switch is using the three terminal oil
pressure switch used on some of the late model LBCs.
If you rig a relay to control the fuel pump power...and the 'floating'
switch contacts of the oil pressure switch to control the relay...
if in an accident ...when the engine stops, the drop in oil pressure
will shut of the fuel pump.

Another advantage to this is the fuel pump isn't supplied power (+12V)
until oil pressure has built up before starting the engine. The engine will
usually
start with what's in the float bowls without much problem. But if the
oil pressure doesn't come up right away it'll shut down. Since the switch
is usually in the order of 2-5 psi to activate, cranking will build enough
pressure to activate the system.
(It's been working fine on my '73 BGT for years now)

Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com