Re: TR6 Sway Bar on a TR4A

To: "Gerald M. Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Sway Bar on a TR4A
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 09:06:57 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jerry,

I too had trouble getting the front sway bar installed.  Here is what I did on
my TR6:

- put the front of the car on ramps or similar so that the weight of the car is
on the front wheels.

- Take the metal plate that attaches to the lower control arm and attach it very
loosely on top of the front lower control arm using the center bolt.  I ended up
reusing the existing bolt because the ADDCO one was too long.

- take a box almost the height of the bottom of the car and use it to support
the bar under the radiator support bracket.

- attach the bar to the end links.  With everything loose, you should now be
able to attach the bar.

- Make sure the bar is centered and tighten everything up.

- You can now locate the location of the center brackets.  I have a reinforced
radiator shroud which presented some problems.  In theory, the brackets should
now be easy to locate on the bottom of the radiator shroud.  Areas to watch
for:  don't have the hole so far forward that you can't get the nut on the back
and make sure your rear hole is not going into the frame.  I recommend just
drilling a small hole first to make sure nothing is in the way on the back.
Because of my reinforced bracket, I ended up getting a 3/8" u-bolt, bending it
closed a little, and modifying the mounting brackets to put the bolt holes as
close together as possible.  I was then able to use the front hole from the
stock sway bar and have the rear hole just in front of the frame.  If you don't
have the reinforced bracket, you can just move the brackets inward a little.  I
did not use the backing plates provided.

Now you should be ready for a test drive.  Have fun.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6