Re: Triumph on Speedvision (in car video)

To: Drew Rogge <drew@pixar.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph on Speedvision (in car video)
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:41:10 -0500
Cc: Tony Drews <tmccis@REVEALED.NET>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Drew Rogge wrote:

> Tony,
>
> Any idea what caused the rearend to break loose? I'm curious
> about why the motor revs up when it does. Did it pop out of
> gear?
>
> BTW, Glad that you're ok.
>
> Drew
>
> Tony Drews wrote:
> >
> > I've got a 16 MB computer video of the 1 minute surrounding the rollover at
> > http://208.214.219.22 .  I'm going to have a much smaller file on that site
> or
> > another within the next month or so, but if downloading a 16 MB file isn't a
> big
> > deal, you don't have to wait.  This thing plays in Windows Media Player.
> >-- End of excerpt
>
> --
> Drew Rogge
> drew@pixar.com

I don't know if Tony answered this -- The rollover occurred because the axle
shaft
broke. The wheel came off, the suspension dug into the pavement, the car went on
its side and spun 360, then hit the gravel trap and flipped three times. These
were shafts and hubs manufactured from new steel three years ago, heat treated,
etc etc. There is a serious design flaw with the stock arrangement that just
shows
up when the cars are subjected to racing stresses.

Axle shafts and hubs break regularly on racing TR's and have destroyed four cars
that I know of. We have developed a fix for this -- replacement of hubs and
shafts
with billet one-piece, accomodated by new axle housing ends. We'll test it in
Joe
Alexander's car in mid-October and then make details of how to contact the shop
who does this available to anyone who is interested. The cost of the conversion
is
$700 when done at a shop in northern Illinois.

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 and being rebuilt