Re: TR 4 rockers, dash support, and shocks

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: TR 4 rockers, dash support, and shocks
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 00:33:00 EDT
Cc: dschlei@pressenter.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall, you are right.  Mea culpa, Dietmar.  See Randall's message below.
Last time I changed shocks was in 1968.  Although, now that I remember, I put
the car in the air by the frame and then put a floor jack under the wheel .
Raising the floor jack compressed the spring and the shock dropped right out.
 And the rocker clearance is .010 inches Cold.  As Hercule Poirot says " use
the little grey cells, C'ptain Hastings."  Again, sorry.

Art Kelly

In a message dated 24-Sep-00 18:36:41 Eastern Daylight Time,
randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:

> I think Art has forgotten how the front suspension comes apart.  The
>  shock actually has to come out before you can install the spring
>  compressor, since the compressor goes through the same space the shock
>  is in.  The compressor is not needed just to remove the shock.
>
>  To remove the shocks, raise the car with the weight on the wheels (eg
>  ramps), or else put the car on jack stands, remove the wheels and
>  compress the front suspension by jacking under the ends of the spring
>  pans, near the trunnions (I use a sideways piece of 2x4 to avoid damage
>  to the pan/trunnion).  Then remove the two long bolts that hold the
>  rebound stop bracket to the frame, and remove the bracket.  Now remove
>  the nuts at the top of the shock rod (on top of the spring tower), and
>  the 4 nuts that hold the lower shock bracket to the spring pan.  The
>  shock should now slide out the bottom (with some persuasion), leaving
>  the spring, A-arms, etc. in place.  Transfer the lower shock brackets to
>  the new shocks, and installation is the reverse.  BTW, it's not a good
>  thing to change only one shock.  Always change them in sets (front or
>  rear).
>
>  The Haynes TR2/3/4 shop manual is also a good one.  They occasionally
>  show up on eBay, or at swap meets, for as little as $25 (depending on
>  condition).

  <snip  >>