TR 4 rockers, dash support, and shocks

To: dschlei@pressenter.com
Subject: TR 4 rockers, dash support, and shocks
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 16:43:57 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dietmar, please see my answers in your e-mail below.

In a message dated 24-Sep-00 12:47:58 Eastern Daylight Time,
dschlei@pressenter.com writes:

> since it seems that I am not able to post to the list I would like to ask
>  you a few questions concerning my "brand new" 1963 TR4.

Try sending a message to:

Majordomo@autox.team.net

Leave the subject line blank

In the message block type:

subscribe triumphs

You will get a confirmation e-mail back in a few minutes.  That should get
you able to send to the list.  If that doesn't work try an e-mail to Mark
Bradakis at mjb@cs.utah.edu.  He runs the lists.

>  I tried to get a shop manual from Moss, Vic. Brit and TRF but they either
>  don't have them or on back-order. Would you know a source that might be
>  able to sell such a manual to me?

Try the Vintage Triumph Register.  website is:

www.vtr.org

You want the original TR4 workshop manual or the Bentley reprint of it.

>  Could you advise what the play of the valve rockers has to be, would it
>  require a cold or a warm engine?

Normally done with the engine at normal operating temp.  I can send you a
scanned copy of the procedure from the Haynes manual if you'd like. It
requires checking the claearances when the tappet is on the heel of the cam.
Not difficult.

>  Would you know a source where I could get
>  the top of the tunnel/dash brace?  The one in my car is missing because
>  some previous owner put a radio (not working) into its place.  By the way,
>  there is no speaker in the car, where would a speaker go?

There were two kinds.  One had a space for the radio and the other was a
"blanking plate" which was just a flat plate.  Moss shows the "blanking
plate."  But I think the one with the cutout for the radio might be difficult
to find.  I think someone on the list had one a few years ago.  Or you could
fabricate one by getting the "blanking plate" and cutting a hole for the
radio.  As for the speakers, I put mine behind the seats in the cardboard
backing which is coverd by the folded top sticks and the pad.  But you could
put them up under the dash.  Originally the radios were AM with only one
speaker which sat on top of the radio or in the passenger footwell.

>  And my last question, how can I get the front shoks out of the springs, I
>  need to replace the left one because it is shut.  Do I need to compress
the
>  spring for this job, take the lower A-arm out?

Right, but be very careful.  The compressed spring can kill you if it gets
loose.  There is a tool for this.  Again, somone on the list has made one and
I TRF has one for sale (about $45).  Once the spring is compressed and the
shock is loosened it just falls out into your hand.

>  Your advise will be appreciated very much!
>
>  Thank you and have a nice day!

You're welcome.  Come back to me if I can be of further help.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/factory pickup)