Re: Soft Top / Hard Top Questions

To: Jon Messier <blueturtles@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Soft Top / Hard Top Questions
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:52:31 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jon,
Living down south, I don't "store" my TRs but I'd probably leave the top
up and the car covered with a quality car cover.
I bought a rig that allows me to store my hardtop attached to my garage
roof from a company that makes them for 55-56-57 Thunderbird hardtops. I
had the straps shortened for the TR6 and it works great. You could build
one easily (I know now) using nylon strapping and a 2 pulley system. One
strap fits through the window openings and both ends attach to the lower
pulley. The other strap fits with a loop around the other strap, under
the center of the back of the top and hooks to the bottom pulley. Laid
out flat, the straps form the shape of a "T". The pulleys work "block &
tackle" style to a hook screwed through the ceiling into a rafter. The
cord used through the pulleys ties up to a suitable hardware fitting
(whatever they are called) mounted securely through the wall to a stud.
I've seen similar arrangements for Miata, Corvette, Mercedes & Jeep
hardtops.
Hope this helps,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA