[Fwd: Lucas fuses]boundary="------------131682AEA7882946BDCDA3F1"

To: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Lucas fuses]boundary="------------131682AEA7882946BDCDA3F1"
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:58:37 -0700
--------------131682AEA7882946BDCDA3F1

Odd Hedberg (Our friend from Sweden) asked me to forward this to the list!

Regards,
Joe
--------------131682AEA7882946BDCDA3F1

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:04:13 +0200
From: Odd Hedberg <odd.hedberg@bigfoot.com>
To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas fuses

Joe,
I think it's time I sent a comment into the Triumphs list - and as
always it just bounces into the big black hole... Could You forward
it into the list please. Thanks.

---
Friends,
Another issue when we're talking Lucas type fuses is the physical size
of the little buggers...

I recently had the "joy" of trying to find new fuses for my '8 over here
in Sweden - and mostly found blade type fuses - and not glass tube fuses.

And when I found the glass tube variant they came in two different sizes
- both of them wrong to my application. This triggered some investigation
from my part and I found out there are indeed two different sizes of our
glass tube fuses [apart from the small 5*20 mm ones used in electronics
equipment].
And in some cases it can be a HIGHLY important difference: If the fuse
box have restricted space for the fuses using the wrong ones might induce
less cooling air circulation around the fuses leading to overheating in-
side the fuse box for instance... Not funny!

The ORIGINAL Lucas fuses are 1/4" * 1 5/32" [6.35 * 29.37 mm] with a paper
strip inside stating the rating of the fuse in text and in the colouring
of the paper. The fusible link inside is soldered to the butts on the out-
side.

The modern replacement Lucas fuses I got from a Rover Unipart dealer are
the same size as the above but the paper have been replaced by coloured
printing on the glass surface stating the rating and the fusible link
inside is soldered onto the inside of the butts only. And - if the glass
is broken for some reason - there is no clue to what rating was fitted
there...

The ones to AVOID is of another size lengthvise [mine here on the desk are
made by Littelfuse but that's probably not significant]. They are the same
diameter as the Lucas ones; 1/4" but the length is 1 1/4" [31.75 mm] a
difference of 2.38 mm - or roughly 8% extra length.

They needed to be fitted with extreme care into my '8 fuse box - but they
could be made to fit and that was not a good thing in my opinion...

YMMV
Regards
Odd
--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,

--------------131682AEA7882946BDCDA3F1--