RE: Rust removal

To: "'Dietmar Schlei'" <dschlei@pressenter.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rust removal
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:15:49 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Dietmar-
        For $ 150 I doubt they will do very much actual rust removal.
Powerwashing, while good for   taking off lots of crud is probably not going
to appreciably remove any rust, other than the really loose flaky stuff.  I
am also suspicious of the "rust converter" approach, as I have tried several
types ( admittedly not Ziebarts) and can report that it really only stays on
the car for a year or two when used over a rusted but 'sound' surface.
        A lot of sandblaster services use the biggest equipment they can
manage; when cleaning off a bridge or an oft-painted swimming pool they need
to make quick progress to make any real $$$.
What you need to find is someone who has some smaller equipment, and a bit
of finesse-  get the car up in the air, mask off the parts that don't need
blasting ( a couple layers of Duct tape usually will be enough) and use
fairly fine grit to avoid metal distortion. ( maybe even a non-mineral
media- walnut shells, plastic 'sand', etc.)  The Big Guys with their Heavy
duty equipment  can be too aggressive,  find someone who has a lighter
touch....My rule in Rustoration is never cover the rust. Afterwards, (
before surface rust sets in again) clean out all the residual dust and use a
good undercoat/sealcoat system.  POR-15 has been mentioned here often, I
have yet to try it but it seems well recommended. ( NFI)
regards,
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967E

Dear  List

Has anybody any info or advise on ziebart's rust removal/protection
treatment.  I contacted their customer service whether they can handle the
rusty belly of my 1963 TR4.  They said "YES".  for $ 150 they would scrape
off flaking rust, power wash thecar, apply their rust converter chemical
and follow-up with a protective coating.

Any info whether that is a good idea (I am not in a position to remove the
body/engine/ transmission that is required by most sandblasting outfits
that I contacted).  I would like to prevent the rust from doing any more
damage to the belly until I can have it done by a professional rebuilder.

Any other suggestions how to attack the rust?

Thanks for your help to a Triumph novice.  I bought the car 4 weeks ago for
$2000.- (it runs well, only the waterpump is leaking oil, I can handle that
kind of work), and I am willing to put some money into the car to get it
into good shape.

Dietmar Schlei

38 Olds Business Coupe
63 TR 4