Re: figure eight gaskets trick

To: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: figure eight gaskets trick
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:28:10 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu

I have heard this thread a number of times.  Are the original-style
copper/asbestos laminated gaskets no longer available?  These come with
rolled lips on all the sealing edges, especially on the cylinder
liners.  The liners are to stand .001-.003 inches proud from the
block.  I have never had a problem on a head seal on any engine when
using the original gaskets, if properly installed.

As to the figure-of-eight seals, the originals were actually plastic
coated, with later ones being of anealed (soft) copper. Are these also no
longer avaiable?  I did see for a while some of aluminum, but I did not
like these. However, they were of the correct thickness, but required the
generous use of sealant.

Cheers...

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, John Gillis wrote:

> Hi all,
>       I just read this one on the TR2-4 home page. Because of the
> poor quality of the figure of eight liner gaskets and their lack of
> compressability (is that a word?) and ability to lift the liners
> above the top of the block someone came up with the idea of gluing a
> .012 inch thick length of copper wire to into a a grove in the
> gasket, thus aiding sealing and allowing the correct height for the
> liners to be obtained. Has anybody tried this or has anyone who has
> not found there to be problems with the gaskets available, either
> steel or copper.
> --
> John Gillis
> 1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
> 1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
> Trinity College
> Dublin,
> IRELAND.