Re: S&H clarification

Subject: Re: S&H clarification
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:40:17 -0500

>(thanks to the list, the gas smell after filling the tank was easy to
>diagnose, and the gaskets weren't backordered either <g>). Good guys
overall.

>--
>Steven Newell
>Denver, CO
>'62 TR4 (awaiting later-TR mirror, fuel sender gasket, filler neck hose,
misc.
>carpet hardware, air filters, etc.)

'62 TR4, eh?  Can you elaborate on the fuel smell?  I removed the broken
fuel-sender gasket and put Hylomar on the interfaces and reassembled.  Yes,
I know Hylomar is supposed to work with a gasket, but the surfaces are flat.
The wetness around the fuel-sender is no more, just some sticky Hylomar.  I
don't feel a leak anywhere.  The filler-neck hose seems dry. Still there is
some gasoline smell in my shop.

The fitting on the upper right of the tank is apparently the vent.  It comes
out under the car.

Is there supposed to be a seal on the Monza-style gas cap?  What does it
look like, so I can be sure it is there?

The actual fuel line apparently leaves the tank on the lower left and goes
directly through the trunk floor.  I have not been able to see this fitting
yet.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4
"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster" - 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a
bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.