Re: TR-3A - correct camber ??

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: TR-3A - correct camber ??
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:25:39 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: vintage-race@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
Your numbers agree with my shop manual.  Your question as to the
geometry lie with two points:
1)  different lengths of the radius of swing of the upper "a" frame and
the lower "a" frame;
2) The upper fulcrum pivot axis lies outside (further from the center of
the car) than the lower fulcrum axis.

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, John Cowan wrote:

>      My '60 TR-3A is in a body shop to have the frame straightened and two
> cracks welded.   Both the frame guy and my mechanic say the static laden
> camber for the front wheels should be set to 0 degrees.
>       However, I found a note in the shop manual indicating that static
> laden camber should be 2 degrees positive.  It also says the camber at full
> bump will be 1/2 degree and at full droop, 1 degree.
>        I find the manual info to be puzzling and at odds with my limited
> understanding of suspension geometry, so I'm inclined to go with the advice
> I have been given.
>       Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem?
> Thanks.
>        John Cowan
>
>      Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
> jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan

James A. Ruffner