Re: TR4 jacking - watch out!

To: Butch Lewis <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 jacking - watch out!
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 16:06:02 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
Although I have never experienced any difficulties in jacking under the
diff, I should mention that once up, I put jackstands under the axles (on
the TR-3's and -4's, but not the -6's.)  In view of someone's comments as
to notices placed in the factories and shops in England, perhaps I will
cease this practice.  I should mention, that using some very simple
physics (engineering) the net force on a TR-3 axle at the wheel, is about
400 lbs, if lifted at the diff.  I have the feeling that a strongly driven
TR-3 would experience much greater force, and bending moment at the diff!
Remember, that when you accelorate, you apply significant torque to the
rear axle, thus bending moment, transverse to the drive shaft, including
the axle tube, likely much higher than experienced by jacking.

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Butch Lewis wrote:

> Here is a thought. The differential casing is sufficiently pliable to allow
>the application of a "casing stretcher" (I haven't used one on mine yet) which
>apparently stretches the casing enough to remove the gear cluster. Right? The
>manual warns against the danger of overstretching the case. Is it possible
>that jacking under the diff therefore can in fact distort the case?
>
>    Butch

James A. Ruffner