Re: TR4 jacking - watch out!

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "John Cowan" <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 jacking - watch out!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 12:47:59 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I've got a '67 Spitfire -- and I know this is a hotly debated topic -- but
my own personal experience has led me to never jack up using the pumpkin if
I can help it.  I had a rear end that was tight as a drum.  After using the
pumpkin to jack up the rear a half a dozen times or so, I developed a nasty
leak from my pinion seal.  Now, the pinion seal looked to be original -- so
I really can't say that jacking up by the diff was the problem -- it might
have just been its time to go.  But the leak developed within hours of the
last time I used the diff to jack up the car and I shall not never use the
diff as a jacking point again.

Now, I put a 2 x 4 between the frame members on either side of the diff and
place the floor jack under the wood.  Works beautifully and gives me an
extra couple of inches (almost) of height to slide those jack stands under.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
The Vintage Spitfire Forum -- moderated and friendly
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/spitforum.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!