TR6 Alternator Question

To: "Jeff Slaton" <slatonj@vci.net>
Subject: TR6 Alternator Question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:53:05 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Jeff Slaton"
>Well gang I have been driving the 6 for a few days now and have noticed
that
the alternator light stays on real dim.  The higher I rev the engine the
dimer it gets.  However it never goes away.  What causes this problem and
what long term effects can I expect?

Jeff In Kentucky<

I dunno, Jeff, the alternator in my TR8 does the same thing.  It is only
visible at night, however. but the car survived 6200 miles with the
alternator acting this way so it can't be too bad.

The alternator light indicates a voltage difference between the field
voltage supply and the alternator output.  The difference between these two
alternator outputs is that the field supply is from three of the nine
diodes in the diode pack and the Alternator output is from another set of
three.  I think my dim glow is due to the fact that the main output diodes
are carrying more current and have a higher voltage drop.

If you can see the alt lamp in the daytime then you might have a bad diode.
 My TR6 had this problem for several months (or years) and after I replaced
the diode pack the symptom whent away.

Will your car make it to Rockford?  Check the battery voltage at speed.  If
the alternator can maintain 14+ volts you will be OK so why not go for it?

Dave
St. Louis, MO (on the road to Rockford for you)
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8