Two TR4 Questions: wheel bearings / bushing of the suspension

To: "'TR Liste'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Two TR4 Questions: wheel bearings / bushing of the suspension
From: Steinbeck Michael <Michael.Steinbeck@start.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:58:09 +0200
Hi Triumphiants,

I have a 1962 TR4 (CT 17613 LO).

1.      Has anyone of you experience of changing the wheel bearings of the
front and the rear axle? As I read it in my workshop manual the front should
not be too difficult, but the rear bearings require a special tool. Do you
really need that special tool, or is there a reasonable way of avoiding this
tool?

2.      Same question for the rubber bushings of the (front and rear)
suspension. Here it looks to me, that the rear suspension is much easier to
be rebushed, since the TR4 has the solid rear axle and the front suspension
is of much higher complexity. Also I read, that there are now non-rubber
replacements available (for the TR4A), that have much better properties that
the original ones. Are these available for the TR4 as well?

For both questions: Are there any difficulties one might run in, that are
not described in the manual? I usually use my (German) copy of the original
workshop manual, but got, a week ago, the new reprint of the Haynes manual.

Thank you for any response.

Michael
1962 TR4, CT 17613 LO
michael.steinbeck@start.de