What's happened to my TR6 transmission?

To: "INTERNET:RBMUSNRET@aol.com" <RBMUSNRET@aol.com>
Subject: What's happened to my TR6 transmission?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:18:21 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:RBMUSNRET@aol.com
>It's been raining (finally) here in Georgia, so I wasn't able to drive
here
much lately.  Fired up my 75 TR6 just a bit ago and when I went to shift
into
reverse to back out of the garage, much grinding was heard, but I was able
get it into reverse.  When I went to shift into first, I could feel that it

was shifting very differently.  I've had the car 8 months and never
experienced any shifting problems.  Decided it was no time for a drive and
decided to pull back in the garage.  I had turned the engine off just to
see
how it shifted when not running -- it was pretty stiff and not very crisp
as
before.  Anyway, it wouldn't shift into gear with the engine running so I
had
to shut it off, put it into first, start the engine and pull on into the
garage.  One other thing I noticed is that the clutch felt like it was
engaging much sooner (and with much less pedal travel) than I have been
used
to with this car previously.  Anyway, if anyone has any ideas as to what
the
problem might be please let me know.  Thanks.

Rick Murray
<

Rick,

If you are really luck (or if you've been good to widers an' orphans) it is
your hydraulics.  Either the return spring in the master or slave cylinder
has broken and a rebuild is in order.

If you forclose on the widows' morgages then you will have to pull the
transmission and either replace the clutch or the taper pin.

Good luck

Dave (My morgage is paid off)