Re: DOT 5 cleanup/ silicone contaminated paint

To: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>, 105671.471@compuserve.com, triumphs@mcleodusa.net
Subject: Re: DOT 5 cleanup/ silicone contaminated paint
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:22:06 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Ouch. I hope you're NEVER planning to paint a car in that garage.

Even trace amounts of silicone contaminants make it almost impossible to
get acceptable results with automotive paint.  We sell industrial liquid
filters which, among other applications,  are used to filter the paint
before it goes on certain shiny new vehicles. A former competitor once
mistakenly shipped a batch of silicone contaminated filter bags to a major
automaker. The problem didn't surface until well after the paint was
applied and hundreds of brand new cars were trashed before the problem was
detected.

Not even the factory can duplicate the factory paint job once a car is
assembled. Cars are painted using electro-coating and heat curing. The car
is positively charged and the paint is negatively charged (or vise versa).
When you spray a stream of charged paint vapor at the car it sticks like
glue and there is very little waste. A trip through the curing oven
completes the process. Once painted, the car is ready to have everything
installed in it (wiring harness, seats, engine, everything). You can't run
a completed car through the curing oven because anything that doesn't melt
will probably catch fire. ;{)

Silicone will also mess up aftermarket paint like a body shop or serious
amateur uses.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com