Re: How To: TR4 Brake Backing Plate Repair?

Subject: Re: How To: TR4 Brake Backing Plate Repair?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:55:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Carl :

One thought : early cars actually used an adjustable stud that pressed
against the web of the brake shoes.  If you can find a suitable place,
you might be able to drill holes and make some substitute studs
(originals are NLS), held with nuts on both sides (or even weld the
inner nut to the backing plate).

I also think that, if you used brazing rod to built the seats up, you
could file them down yourself.  This isn't exactly rocket science, "by
eye" should be close enough.  OTOH, I'll bet a machine shop wouldn't
charge as much as you think to make a couple passes with a surface
grinder.

Randall