Re: Triumphest 2000 and autocross

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Triumphest 2000 and autocross
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:02:59 -0700
Cc: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Joe,

I too am disappointed that there is not an autocross scheduled at
Triumphest 2000 in San Diego.  Having been involved with the club
hosting Triumphest '98 in San Luis Obispo, we almost had to cancel our
autocross due to lack of a location.  We ended up at an airport 35
miles away.  That didn't seem to hurt attendance at the autocross with
56 drivers competing.

The possible good news is that the local SCCA SOLO II chapter is having a
regularly scheduled event on Sat, 21 Oct at Qualcomm Stadium.  The schedule is
at:
http://www.sdr-solo2.com/schedule.htm or http://www.sdr-solo2.com/
Perhaps one of the San Diego people can arrange for us to join them at their
event or use the course Friday before their event.

For people that like to autocross, I encourage you to look for a region in you
area.  For those of you in the Los Angeles area, there is an autocross this
weekend at Hollywood Park in Inglewood.

You can see the details at http://www.solo2.com/ - If you want to run with a
newer Triumph on street tires, you can run SK2.  If your Triumph is 1968 or
older, you can run in the Historic class.  Both of these classes are indexed.
Otherwise, you probably already know your class.  If you just want to come out
for the day, it costs $25.  Roll bars are not required and loaner helmets are
available.

Hope to see some other Triumphs there.  It's only been Morgans in the historic
class so far this year.  I hope a termite free Triumph powered vehicle (Randall,
Jan?) can come out and win the class at least once this year.

For the rest of you, you can look for a group near you at
http://www.scca.org/interactive/regions.html

Brian Kemp
72 TR6
#913 in SK2
Probably need to check the oil and tire pressure since my run back from VTR