Re: TR4 sway bar

To: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@attglobal.net>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 sway bar
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@nceas.ucsb.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:20:24 -0700
James, List,

I purshased an Addco unit for $129 from www.swaybars.com.  The addco model
number for my '62 TR4 was '130'.

I originally approached www.addco.net,   ( that's 'net' not 'com' ) but
they do not sell retail, and the sales office suggested I try swaybars.com.

The web site mentioned two types of bushings, rubber and urethane.  I
specified the firmer urethane.

For $129, I received all the hardware needed.  It's a pretty simple
unit.  It bolts to the two brackets that come off the front of the frame
that support the bumper and front apron.  The swaybar end links attach to a
tab you bolt to the lower, front a-arm.

The bar itself is 5/8" in diameter.

I had to drill 4  3/8" holes in the bumper \ apron bracket to install the
swaybar.  Everything else bolts on. Installation was about 1/2 hour.

I am very satisfied with the result.  The car's handling has improved
greatly and the swaybar makes the car feel more snug going though corners
or cruising on the highway.

On the front I'm using stock springs and Koni shocks.

The only other swaybar option I know of is the factory type which is
available from Moss and maybe TRF.  It costs significantly more, like, 100%.

The price of addco swaybars seems to be all over the board.  I've heard you
can get them via J.C. Whitney for $99, and I've seen them for sale in TRF's
catalog for over $200.  You may be able to get the swaybar a little cheaper
with J.C. Whitney, but they have consistently disappointed me over the
years with poor products and poor service that I don't even bother looking
at their catalogs any more.

As for the REAR swaybar I queried the list about yesterday, I received a
few off-list replies from folks who have tried the rear sway bars and they
were consistent in their experiences that the car handled BETTER once the
rear sway bar was removed.

So the list says:  "Don't bother with a rear sway bar."

As I feel like I must bolt something on back there, I'm now considering a
panhard rod and \ or some other linkage to reduce axle 'tramp' where by the
front of the rear axle rotates upward under hard acceleration.

Any comments on THOSE sort of rear axle placement modifications are welcome.

-jeffrey

'62 TR4, CT 7486 LO