RE: correction: to fan or not to fan

To: "Rick Pam" <rpam@stanford.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: correction: to fan or not to fan
From: "The Brooks'" <TR3A@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:22:04 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <las@alaska.net>
Rick,

I use a fan with a 7 amp draw and only have problems with the heat in 90°F
heat during extended idling.  I've seen the temps go up to 210°F, but no
higher.  My engine is warmed over, but not nearly as much as the Greenman.
I selected 7 amps based on the roughly 18 amp capacity of the generator,
figuring 3 for ignition, 8 for running lights full capacity at speed, not
quite the worst case, it could be raining, but pretty close.  I definitely
discharge at idle, but recharge as soon as the revs pickup.

When stuck in traffic, at night, I switch to running lights only, no main
beams.  The fan you have might just work if you switch off the main beams.
Once the car comes off idle the generator picks up and can carry the load
quite well.  Then again, if you are going to put in an alternator, might as
well throw in a cyclone maker and blow 20 amps worth.  You won't need the
30 amp capacity Greg has, unless you have an engine like his.

Regards,

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, NJ
1960 TR3A TS69032LO