Downer on the days work!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "2000 Register List" <2000-Register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Downer on the days work!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:53:55 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi All
Just had an absolute downer of a day, I am fitting new polyurethane bushes
from Chris Witor to my 2.5 PI MKII, Whilst in the process I fitted a new
(recon?) Steering rack new track rod ends and new bottom ball joints as well
as adding an anti roll bar to the front. All went well, I had one bottom
ball joint in stock and one track rod end, I went to the local Lucas agent
and ordered 1 track rod end (TRE)  and 1 bottom ball joint (BBJ), they
arrived today and both were wrong, there is an error in the parts catalogue
that specifies the 1/2" thread TRE for vehicles up to 1972 and the 5/8"
thread for 72 onwards. I believe it should read 1/2" TRE Manual steering
5/8"TRE Power assisted steering! The BBJ was incorrect in that the root
diameter of the taper was 0.7" diameter instead of 0.750" diameter,  the
press fit base of the BBJ was the correct size so I am wondering if it was
an incorrectly manufactured part or as the TR7 appears to use a similar
joint with a different part number could it have been one of these in the
wrong box? Yes the number on the box cross referenced with the number for
the 2000 2.5 range. The component was from AP Lockheed so you may wish to
check if you are purchasing one of these. The real nuisance is that they
can't get me one until Thursday so I am getting withdrawal symptoms although
I have two others to drive!!!

Graham.
2.5 PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite